PETER COSTELLO - PROFILE
Peter Costello is Chairman of ECG Financial Pty Ltd, a boutique corporate advisory firm, with offices in Canberra and Melbourne.
Peter Costello was first elected a Member of the House of Representatives for the seat of Higgins in March 1990 and re-elected on six subsequent occasions.
He was elected Deputy Leader of the Liberal Party of Australia in May 1994 and served in that post to November 2007.
He was Treasurer of the Commonwealth of Australia from 11 March 1996 to 3 December 2007, the longest serving Treasurer in Australia’s history.
Peter Costello brought down twelve consecutive Federal Budgets, including ten surpluses. During this period he eliminated the Commonwealth Government net debt of $96 billion.
Peter Costello introduced the largest tax reform in Australian history called: A New Tax System, which introduced GST, abolished seven taxes and reduced income, capital gains and company taxes.
Amongst other things during his time as Treasurer he:-
· re-designed financial supervision and established new prudential and consumer regulators.
· reformed and modernised Corporations law under the CLERP program.
· established the Takeovers Panel to hear disputes over mergers and acquisitions.
· introduced the largest reform of superannuation with the abolition of tax on superannuation payouts for those over 60.
· established the Future Fund currently holding around $70 billion in assets.
· established the Higher Education Endowment Fund as a perpetual fund for the Australian University sector with an initial contribution of $6 billion.
In December 2009 Peter Costello was appointed a Guardian to Australia’s Future Fund. He is currently Chairman of the Independent Advisory Board to the World Bank in Washington.
In January 2011 he was made a Companion (AC) in the Order of Australia.
He has written a best-selling memoir published in 2008 by Melbourne University Press.
Peter is married to Tanya and they have three children.
Peter holds degrees from Monash University where he was, for a time, a part-time teacher in law and economics/politics, as well as a member of the University Council. Prior to entering Parliament, he was a barrister. He was counsel in some of Australia’s best-known industrial disputes.
Peter Costello describes his favourite activity as cooking on the barbeque at home (badly) and following his beloved football team (passionately).
Peter Costello Appointed as Chair of the Future Fund Board of Guardians
Statement from Peter Costello regarding his appointment to Chair of the Future Fund Board of Guardians.
Address to Monash University Law School Graduation Ceremony
Peter Costello addresses the Monash University Law School Graduation Ceremony
Nagging doubt over Budget deficit busters
Peter Costello in the Herald Sun